This is the series of our new UNIQUE classes. They can be done virtually or on-site right next to our clinic where we are based at Lifeleisure in Stockport.
These classes will involve a variety of fun but effective exercises for all ages and all fitness abilities. It involves elastic bands being put at different areas of your body where it challenges your posture, balance and strength at all times. You can progress levels and band abilities and this is purely down to your own determination to get better and stronger with us!
Don’t worry you won’t have to purchase anything yourself. We will supply everything for you. Even if you sign-up virtually, we will send the bands out to your post-code!!!
2. Massage Therapy
How does it work?
Massage is a treatment method where our therapists and physiotherapists will apply direct hands-on on to your skin. This involves the use of different massage creams and oils so please make sure you let us know about any specific allergies you may have.
This also includes different techniques of gliding over tight muscles and applying pressure to specific tight areas. Sometimes during treatment you might experience some discomfort because some muscles can be tighter than others. This is normal and we will make sure you receive the best and most comfortable treatment.
These are the problems we provide treatment for:
- Stiff Neck
- Neck Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Stiff Shoulder (Frozen Shoulder)
- Shoulder Impingement
- Rotator Cuff Injury
- Headaches and Migraines
- Elbow Pain (Tennis elbow; Golfer’s elbow)
- Hip Pain
- Leg Pain
- Tendon pain/injury
- Tight muscles from a desk job
- Glute Pain
- Sciatic Pain
- Groin Pain
- Sports Injuries
- Back Pain
- Knee Pain
- Ankle and Foot Injuries
DID YOU KNOW?
The timing from the onset of your symptoms to the time you visit us will determine which therapy is best used and at what level. This is because of the healing process of the injury which follows the same natural pattern every time. This starts with “inflammation” where you might see swelling, redness, bruising or feel the injured area hot and painful. During this time your movement might also be restricted. The second phase is called “proliferation” where the injured tissue starts to get things back together with the help of different important chemical reactions within our system. The final stage of healing is called “remodelling” where the injured tissue is finally “glued” back together. However, is it important to know not only what treatment to apply on your injury but also what type of exercise to do to strengthen it and stretch it appropriately. As we said before, the timing from the onset of your injury is important because whilst not wanting to disturb the nature of the healing we would certainly need to get the injured tissue stronger as it heals. This is why our exercise rehabilitation programs are so important to your recovery.
It is also important to note that those three phases of healing (some argue that it’s four stages with the very first one called “bleeding” followed by “inflammation” and so forth) overlap. So the moment you experience an injury all phases co-exist but one of them is much more prominent at a time and then is being taken over by the next one as time goes by. So time is also another crucial element of healing and it needs as much respect as all the others…
What are the potential benefits of Massage?
- Can prevent muscle and joint injury by keeping the tissues relaxed therefore less tension is applied around joints.
- Can improve your blood circulation which can aid in better oxygenation of tissues, more energy around them and some theories believe that this can also help you to lose some body fat.
- Can reduce pain if the appropriate level of depth (and technique) is applied. As we said above, this will be determined by the stage of your injury healing.
- Can give you more flexibility around your joints due to the relaxing agents (and certain hormones) being released within your body.
3. Injury Consultation & Treatment
How does it work?
The Injury Consultation is made up of two components: the examination followed by the treatment.
We will listen to your problem and then we will examine the area where the problem is (and other joints around it) without causing any more pain or discomfort. However, some times this is inevitable so we will make sure it is within your tolerance. The examination involves different movements of your arm or leg followed by assessing your power around that area and then a feel of the injury with great caution.
The purpose of the examination is to confirm or reject our initial thoughts on what the problem is from your story telling.
After we find out what the problem is we will then suggest different treatment options to you. You will always be given as much time as you need before deciding what to do next. It is within your rights and your decision to accept or reject treatment or rehabilitation.
Treatment options will include the following:
- Massage: Skin gliding/pressure techniques. You guide the depth of pressure.
- Pressure points: Tender points in the muscles that when pressed in a certain way the pain starts to go away.
- Frictions: A more intense and successful method of relieving pain. Usually applied after the initial healing stage of “inflammation” (see above for explanation of healing stages).
- Stretches: We can stretch you out! This is significantly better than when you stretch out alone. Again, very dependant on the stage of the healing.
- Joint Manipulations: These are fast movements over different joints. They can click “things” back to place. This is mainly applied on your back.
- Acupuncture: This involves the application of very thin needles through your skin. It helps your blood circulation and flow and has fantastic effects on pain and stiffness!
- Exercise Rehabilitation: This involves a one-to-one session in the clinic, the gym or virtually (Skype – WhatsApp – FaceTime) in order to strengthen your weaknesses and prevent further injuries. Sometimes you might be over-protecting an area that essentially needs more strengthening than you have ever imagined!
- Posture Correction: This is made up of a series of special exercises that will help you develop a very good posture to be proud of!